Applications are invited from Jamaicans for the CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP FOR JAMAICAN STUDENTS 2023. Applicants for this program must also ensure they have complied with the eligibility criteria to avoid disqualification. Hurry and apply now!!
About Chevening Scholarship
Chevening is the UK government’s international awards program aimed at developing global leaders since 1983.
Funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and partner organizations, Chevening offers two types of awards – Chevening Scholarships and Chevening Fellowships – the recipients of which are personally selected by British Embassies and High Commissions throughout the world.
Chevening offers a unique opportunity for future leaders, influencers, and decision-makers worldwide to develop professionally and academically, network extensively, experience UK culture, and build lasting positive relationships with the UK.
All former scholars and fellows from 1983 can reconnect with their classmates by joining the Chevening community platform.
The number of available scholarships varies from country to country. More than thirty scholarships are currently awarded to Nepal, India, and China candidates.
Twenty or more are awarded to candidates from Egypt, South Korea, Indonesia, Pakistan, Mexico, and Brazil, with less than five core scholarships now available to candidates from Australia and Canada(US students are not eligible but can apply for the Marshall Scholarships which are also funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office).
The Chevening Scholarship is not available to non-indigenous Australian candidates.
The significance of the Chevening scholarship scheme rests on its large scope – approximately 700 scholarships are awarded each year to students from more than 110 countries, allowing students from developing countries to access British tertiary education institutions, some of which are very high standard as determined by international rankings.
In this way, the Chevening scheme is more similar to the US Fulbright Scholarships, which bring students from 140 countries to the US. It differs from the Rhodes Scholarship scheme, which currently allows applications from approximately 18 countries.
Winners of Chevening scholarships often receive coverage in national and local newspapers. to see more about Chevening,
What You Need To Know About Chevening Scholarship For Jamaican Students
Chevening Scholarships in Jamaica are awarded to outstanding emerging leaders to pursue a one-year taught Master’s degree program at any UK university. They provide a unique opportunity for future leaders, influencers, and decision-makers worldwide to develop professionally and academically, network extensively, experience UK culture, and build lasting positive relationships with the UK.
A Chevening award offers financial support and the opportunity to become part of the highly regarded and influential Chevening global network.
Applicants from Jamaica can choose any course of study at any UK higher education institution; when selecting your field of study, please refer to the UK priorities in your Country.
Level of study
The Chevening scholarship is for a one year masters taught program.
Field of study
There are numerous fields of study available to Jamaicans to choose from, amongst which include:
- Governance, Security, and Human Rights
- Economics, Trade, and Business Management
- Energy and Climate Change
- Climate change
- Crime prevention
- Good governance
- Human rights
This scholarship is to be taken in the UK. If you are an international student and wish to study in the UK, this is for you: Complete Guide to Getting A UK Tier 4 Student Visa For International Students.
The scholarship is for Jamaican students. Read also if you wish to study outside your home country Simple and Detailed Answers about Applying and Winning a Scholarship.
The scholarship benefits are as follows:
- a monthly stipend
- travel to the UK from your country at the beginning of your award
- travel from the UK back to your country at the end of your award
- an arrival and departure allowance
- a thesis or dissertation grant
- the cost of one visa application
- University tuition fees. There is also a global Chevening fee cap of £13,000 for MBA and Masters in Finance. If the tuition fees of your chosen university course exceed this amount, you will be required to fund the remainder of your tuition fees.
The Chevening scholarship requirements include:
- Be a citizen of a Chevening-eligible country
- Return to your country of citizenship for a minimum of two years after your award has ended
- Have an undergraduate degree that will enable you to enter a postgraduate program at a UK university. This is typically equivalent to an upper second-class 2:1 honors degree in the UK.
- Have at least two years’ work experience (this may be up to five years for fellowship programs, so please refer to your country page for further details)
- Apply to three different eligible UK university courses and receive an unconditional offer from one of these choices by 12 July
- Meet the Chevening English language requirement by 12 July
HOW TO APPLY FOR THIS SCHOLARSHIP
To see how to apply for the Chevening scholarship, we invite you to see the official application site of the Chevening scholarship for Jamaicans
Applications for Chevening Scholarships are open between 12:00 BST on 6 August 2023 and 12:00 GMT on 6 November 2023. Applications for some Chevening Fellowships are also now open.